Today, On August 1, 2018, we mark the first anniversary since opening the Embassy of Grenada to the Russian Federation in Moscow.
This past year has been a productive year for the Embassy, as we embarked on a path to introduce Grenada to the Russian Federation and enhance bilateral relations as the only Eastern Caribbean diplomatic mission in the region.
This past year has witnessed extraordinary initiatives being carried out by Grenada and Russia as the countries marked their 15th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations, followed by the execution of a visa-waiver agreement between the countries during the 72nd United Nations General Assembly.
By maintaining a fully staffed local presence and working with various government and non-government organizations we have managed to make important first steps in creating bilateral relationships in the fields of educational, cultural and trade exchanges with the objective to promote Grenada as a tourist and investment destination.
In November of last year Grenada hosted “New Dawn”, the first ever joint Russian / Eurasian-Caribbean economic, media and academic forum, which has seen collaboration efforts between the regional representatives from the Caribbean and Eurasian regions. As a result of this successful event, organizers have formed the “St. George’s Club” in Grenada as a non-profit organization founded on the principle of networking and building relationships that last. It is St. George’s Club’s objective to improve contacts between the Caribbean and Eurasian businesses, cultural and government communities. This year on November 1, 2018, St. George’s Club will continue this trend and is preparing to host “The Next Step” forum in Grenada, which will offer an excellent environment for collaboration with the objective to enhance business communication and relationships between the regions.
We have participated in many events in the Russian Federation and the Eurasian region during this past year. Some of the most notable events included:
- Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation, hosted a round table “Cooperation between the Russian Federation and Grenada in the Humanitarian, Cultural, Scientific and Tourism Fields”, organized by the Commission of the Russian Federation on the Development of Public Diplomacy, Humanitarian Cooperation and the Preservation of Traditional Values. Photo exhibition “Nature and Attractions of Grenada” was featured in the lobby of Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation at which the Commission Chairperson, Elena Sutormina, noted that Grenada, as an island state with magnificent nature, is of interest in terms of tourism, but there are other possible cooperations to be explored between the countries.
- “Rossiya” television network produced several feature episodes about Grenada, which have aired in prime time – “Friendship of Grenada and Russia”, “From tourism to high technology: Grenada and Russia have something to share with each other” and “Grenada: Visa-Free”.
- Embassy of Grenada celebrated the CARICOM National Day at the Astana World Expo 2017 and participated in dialogues with the Government of Kazakhstan within the framework of the development of further bilateral cooperation in the region.
Opened “Grenada Business and Cultural Club” and during the course of the year established bilateral dialogues with the regional governments of the Russian Federation.
- First Caribbean trade center “My Caribbean” was formed in Russia to promote bilateral trade and serve as a platform for businesses looking to promote products between the regions.
- Grenadian delegation comprised of Grenadian students in the Russian Federation attended the 19th World Festival of Youth and Students in Sochi, Russia.
- The Government of Russia in collaboration with the Government of Grenada is offering scholarships to Grenadian nationals who wish to pursue studies in Russia for the academic year 2018-2019. There are many programs to chose from including Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate and Short-term continued education courses from over 400 universities in the Russian Federation.
- During the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF 2018), Grenada Ministry of Health and National Medical Research Center of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Immunology of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation have executed the Memorandum of Understanding for Scientific and Clinical Cooperation in The Field of Healthcare.
- Grenadian products were featured at the Russian Retail Week 2018, whereby Russian Association of Retail Market Experts and the Embassy of Grenada have executed a bilateral co-operation agreement.
During this year we have received a large amount of positive feedback and we are happy with our progress. I would like to thank the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation for the warm welcome. I would also like to extend a special appreciation to the embassy staff and Grenadian students in the Russian Federation for making this a strong beginning.
Happy Birthday, Embassy of Grenada!
Ambassador Extraordinary and
Plenipotentiary of Grenada