AUGUST 1, 2020 – MOSCOW, RUSSIA – The Embassy of Grenada to the Russian Federation celebrates its third anniversary since opening in Moscow, Russia in 2017.
These past three years have been very productive for the Embassy, as we embarked on a path to introduce Grenada to the Russian Federation and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). Our goal of enhancing bilateral relations and creating people to people connections as the only representative of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) in the region has produced positive results.
We have successfully established diplomatic relationships with the Kyrgyz Republic; Republic of Moldova; Ukraine and Uzbekistan. As well as deepened our diplomatic relationships with the Russian Federation by executing a visa-waiver agreement between the countries during the 72nd United Nations General Assembly. Most recently we have entered into a visa-waiver agreement with Ukraine, allowing nationals of Grenada and Ukraine to travel between the countries without a visa.
By maintaining a fully staffed local presence and working with various government and non-government organizations we have managed to take important steps in creating bilateral relationships in the fields of educational, medical, cultural and trade exchanges with the objective of promoting Grenada as a tourist and investment destination.
St. George’s Club was formed in Grenada as a not-for-profit organization founded on the principle of networking and building relationships that last. Grenada was chosen by the founders of the St. George’s Club as a platform for collaboration between the Russian Federation, Eurasia and the countries of CARICOM. Since inception in 2017, St. George’s Club has successfully hosted two economic, media and academic forums, which have seen collaboration efforts between the regional representatives from the Caribbean and Eurasian regions.
During the past year, the Embassy of Grenada has participated in many events in the Russian Federation and the CIS region. Some of the most notable events include:
- The Apothecary Garden hosted a colourful ceremony where the Embassy of Grenada presented Grenada’s national flower seeds, which were a part of the display that won the largest flower contest RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- Celebrated 40th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Grenada and the Russian Federation at the atrium of the Ministry of the Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation
- “Grenada – Island of Spice” photo exhibition hosted by the National Geographic was exhibited in the centre of Moscow, near the Red Square on the historical Nikolskaya Street
- Charles Peter David, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Grenada visited Moscow and discussed bilateral cooperation with the Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov
- CARICOM day celebrated at the Embassy of Grenada, joined by Hon. Kamina Johnson-Smith, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade of Jamaica, Honorary Consuls of Jamaica and Antigua and Barbuda as well as representatives from the CARICOM states
- Ambassador of Grenada, H.E. Oleg Firer has given a keynote speech for the graduates of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN), several Grenadian students have graduated with honours from the RUDN University
- Ambassador of Grenada, H.E. Oleg Firer has participated in the graduation ceremony of the Academy of the Ministry of Interior Affairs where Grenadian police officers have graduated with a master’s degree in law enforcement
- The Embassy hosted and participated in many cultural and business forums, whereby promoting the investment into Grenada and further deepening relationships between the countries
During the year we have received a large amount of positive feedback and we are happy with our progress. I would like to thank the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation for its hospitality. I would also like to extend a special appreciation to the Embassy staff and the Grenadian diaspora for making these three years productive.
Happy Birthday, Embassy of Grenada!
H.E. Oleg Firer
Ambassador Extraordinary and
Plenipotentiary of Grenada